A second-term elected Parliamentarian and distinguished lawyer of the Supreme Court with a career spanning over three decades. She is a renowned socio-political activist who has been associated with institutions including the National Commission of Women, Sakshi, NIPCD amongst several others. In addition to having worked extensively with several not-for-profits, she has served as a member of the drafting committee of “Women Reservation Bill” & “Problem of Sexual Harassment at Workplace”; the latter being passed by the Parliament of India. She even represented the media in court to get the ban on media coverage of the case proceedings revoked and she was successful in this effort.
She has been actively involved in women empowerment, she took up the case of the permanent commissioning of women in the Indian armed forces with the Supreme Court. She was the lawyer of the victim in the Shanti Mukund Hospital rape case; took up the case of Promotion Policy for Army Officer and the Permanent Commission of women in the Indian armed forces in the Supreme Court. The judgement has paved the way for women officers to hold command posts.
Most recently, as the Chairperson of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on the Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019 she has been entrusted with ideating on a legislation which has the potential to shape and protect the privacy, personal dignity and security of India and its citizens. The committee has recently asked some very pertinent and tough questions to several of the world’s leading social media, technology and e-commerce companies operating in India about their policies and practices with regards to the safety and security of the privacy of Indian citizens and their personal data.
- 2010: National Vice President, BJP Mahila Morcha
- May 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- June 2014 – May 2019: Member, House Committee
- Sep 2014 – Jul 2016: Member, Committee on Privileges; Member, Press Council of India; Member, Standing Committee on Urban Development
- Dec 2014 – May 2019: Member, Joint Committee on Offices of Profit
- Jul 2016 – May 2019: Chairperson, Committee on Privileges
- Nov 2017: Member, Press Council of India
- May 2019: Re-elected to 17th Lok Sabha (2nd Term)
- June 2019 onwards: Member, Panel of Chairpersons, Lok Sabha
- July 2019 onwards: Chairperson, Committee on Public Undertakings
- September 2019 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on External Affairs
- October 2019 onwards: Member, Committee on Privileges
- December 2019 onwards: Chairperson, Joint Committee on the Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019
- Nov 2019 onwards: Member, General Purposes Committee, Lok Sabha; Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Defence